lyrics for "for me to live is Christ to die is gain, to hold his hand and walk the narrow way, there

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").
cjs

lyrics for "for me to live is Christ to die is gain, to hold his hand and walk the narrow way, there

Post by cjs » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:03 pm

I would like to find the rest of the words to a hymn
"For me to live is Christ to die is gain
To hold his hand and walk the narrow way
There is no peace no joy no thrill than walking in his will
For me to live is Christ to die is gain"

are there any other verses to this hymn?

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:12 am

Taken from Youth Praise 2 No 267 (I was brought up on Youth Praise 1!)
More importantly based on Philippians 1 v 21:

Chorus:
For me to live is Christ, to die is gain
to hold His hand and walk His narrow way
there is no peace, no joy, no thrill, Like walking in His will

Now once my heart was full of sin and shame
Till someone told me Jesus came to save
When He said "Come home to me"
He set my poor heart free

Now there are things that I still do not know
But of this one thing I'm completely sure
He who called me on that day
Washed all my sin away

Post by Guest » Thu May 21, 2009 1:37 am

Does any one know if i can buy this hymn anywhere as a song or mp3 or cd or something? If anyone does please could you email me at [email][email protected].[/email] Thanks

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:57 pm

If you go to
http://www.smallchurchmusic.com/SongListF.php?RMenu=Fo

Scroll down and you will see the song downloadable in Mp3. You will have to pay a small charge (as it is copyright) but most of the hymns on the site in mp3 are free (& there are 1000s).
Dr Michael Foster.

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:25 pm

I was interested in your enquiry about the song, 'For me to live is Christ, to die is gain'. I am the author and composer of the song and I was happy that people were singing it to the glory of God. I have no idea who holds the copyright as I wanted it to be freely used, and I find it very strange that someone else should claim the copyright without informing me. I would be willing to send you a casette recording of the Glorylanders singing it.
[email protected]

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:38 am

Keith I am very interested to read what you have said there.
The only book in which I can find this song is Youth Praise Book 2. I'm not sure of the publication date, but my copy has coffee stains which date from about 1973! The copyright there is assigned to J White and dated 1969.
Are you one and the same White?
This is a beautiful tune and fine words, especially the chorus. I hope I do not cause offence if I say I have never found the verses to be as striking as the chorus, nor exactly true to the context of Philippians. In fact I confess to writing alternative verses if anyone is interested.
[email protected]

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:44 am

Very pleased to have found these words again. They do, in my view, express both the joy that Paul finds in the Christians at Philippi and the reason why nothing can diminish that joy. I first heard the words sung at an excellent concert by the Glorylanders in Hull (probably City Hall) just a few years ago...
Great to see Keith's comments
[email protected]

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:57 pm

Hi

Anyone have the chords or sheet music to 'For me to live is Christ, to die is gain' please?

[email protected]

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:51 pm

This song has been in the corner of my heart during the past decades.
This morning I looked into internet search to find the complete verses, and I've found it! A great joy!!^~^
May God be truly and literally 'all' in our lives ~ in life & in death.

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:01 pm

There are two versions on the song, I remember and know the J White version, LOVE It.