Walking The Sea

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").
sgcgroan

Walking The Sea

Post by sgcgroan » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:19 pm

Looking for the words to a old gospel song called walking the sea
Homeward Bound

Walking The Sea

Post by Homeward Bound » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:53 pm

Is this the one you're looking for?

OUT UPON GALILEE ONE NIGHT
ANGRY WAVES DASHED IN MADDENING SIGHT.
AND THE DISCIPLES SAILED IN FRIGHT OVER THE SEA.
ROWING AGAINST CONTRARY WINDS
KNOWING NOT WHAT WOULD BE THEIR END
JESUS BECAME THEIR DEAREST FRIEND WALKING THE SEA.

II

TROUBLE SOMETIMES AROUND US ROLL
WHILE ON THE VOYAGE TO THE GOAL.
JUST AS THEY DID IN DAYS OF OLD UPON GALILEE.
PRESS RIGHT ALONG TO WIN THE RACE
REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOU HAVE TO FACE
JESUS IS WALKING ON THE HIGHEST WAVES WALKING THE SEA.

CHORUS

WALKING THE SEA (WALKING THE STORMY SEA).
WALKING THE SEA (WALKING THE ROLLING SEA).
JESUS THAT NIGHT CAME UNTO THEM
WALKING THE SEA (YES WALKING THE SEA)
WALKING THE SEA (WALKING THE STORMY SEA).
WALKING THE SEA (WALKING THE ROLLING SEA).
JESUS THAT NIGHT CAME UNTO THEM WALKING THE SEA.
sgcgroan

Walking The Sea

Post by sgcgroan » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:57 pm

YES, THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS.....
sgcgroan

Walking The Sea

Post by sgcgroan » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:10 am

I found another verse to Walking the Sea, It is verse # 2...
Safely they rose to right the wrong, out where the fury was so strong. Hoping upon the shore they longed, safely to be. Jesus they sought, to their dismay, came unto whom they looked for aid, Saying it is I, be not afraid, Walking the Sea.....

The 3rd verse I have is a liitle different from yours, I like both of them, but here is what I have.....Trouble sometimes may around you roll, while on your voyage here below, just as they did in days of old, on Galilee. Faithfully strive your heart to guide, going through waters safely ride, Jesus is forever at your side, walking the sea
gospelsinger46

Walking The Sea

Post by gospelsinger46 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:32 pm

(somewhere I found the author to be Ernest Rippetoe)

WALKING THE SEA (1943) Key: G 4/4
Author: Ernest Rippetoe

The 3rd verse I have is slightly different:

Troublesome times may round you roll, While on your voyage here below
Just as they did in days of old on Galilee;
Faithfully strive your bark to guide, Knowing through all you'll safely ride,
Jesus is ever at your side, walking the sea.
Elkse

Re: Walking The Sea

Post by Elkse » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:53 pm

Here are the 2 verses I remember singing with my dad. I known a "barque" was a French term for a ship. Dad was French. He served in the South Pacific during WWII. This was his favorite song. Years after his death, I made contact with a nearly 90 year old shipmate of his and learned something I hadn't known. Dad had mentioned Thyphoon Louise but it held no meaning to me as a child other than understanding is was a BIG, BAD storm. His shipmate related the story to me of them being at sea in a small wooden vessel (a submarine chaser) the night Louise took an unexpected turn and overtook them. He said the storm was so fierce most of the men were petrified with fear. Not my dad The veteran told me Dad's motto was, "We're the sailors so let's do our jobs", After their night of terror, they were left without power and without steering. Tge waves were still almost 60 feet high. They were fighting to keep aright and afloat. A larger ship finally answered their distress call but the boisterous waves prevented them from rescue. They could not get close enough to throw a life line although every man tried. Everyone except my dad who was the shortest man onboard. Dad sat down and started forming a "monkey fist" knot by wrapping rope in a certain way around an iron ball. When completed, Dad handed the monkey fist to Bob, the veteran who told me the story because, as he put it, he was "a baseball-playing 6-foot-four-inch cowboy from Montana". This throw was successful and the larger ship towed them to New Zealand.

I always liked the song. Now, knowing the reason it was Dad's favorite, makes it mine too!

Walking The Sea

Out upon Galilee one night,
Angry waves dashed in maddening height,
As the disciples sailed in fright over the deep.

Rowing against contrary wind,
Knowing not what might be their end,
Jesus came, He, their dearest friend,
Walking the sea.

(Chorus...)

Troublesome times may 'round you roll,
While on your voyage to the goal,
Just as they did in days of old,
On Galilee.

Faithfully strive your barque to guide
Knowing through storms you'll safely ride.
Jesus is ever at your side,
Walking the sea.

(Chorus..)
Philly1347

Re: Walking The Sea

Post by Philly1347 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:45 pm

Thank you so much. These are the Correct Words. Enjoyed your story about your Dad very much. My Dad was Sailor also. Whoever ORIGINALLY wrote this song knew what he was talking about. My Aunt used to sing it in church. I am now going to sing it in mine. Thank you. God Bless