acres of diamonds - arthur smith

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:03 pm

Just found this website! Have not had computer very long. Been a gospel musician for years. Played the piano for evangelists to sing and have sung
Acres of Diamonds countless times. I was told by the one I played for in early 60's that he had written Acres of Diamonds. I have two full verses and would share them gladly. Also, if you have the sheet music, I would love to buy a copy from you.

God bless all of you who are singing and playing for the glory of God! Music is a wonderful avenue of ministry.

Love to all, LuAnne [email protected]

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:44 pm

good
zcomposer

Post by zcomposer » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:38 pm

Just to make it clear:
1) I found the music: the complete sheet music.
2) I re-typeset the music.
3) now I have a full copy, with all music, both verses, etc.

Anybody who wants a copy may ask via email. I will send it gladly.
I do not check this thread often, so please don't ask for it here.

Email me directly. I will email you the music. I don't ask money, and I don't make anything off of this.

May the Lord bless the music as it is presented for the glory of God.

Jay
zcomposer

Post by zcomposer » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:58 am

Someone very kindly sent me text for three verses which I can't vouch for beyond that it's the same words in verse 1 and chorus, and the rest fit more or less. Maybe they were added later? I don't know! The song as published (some time in the 1950's or early 1960's I believe) has only one verse (at least in the version I have).

Acres of Diamonds, mountains of gold,
Rivers of silver, jewels untold;
All these together, couldn't buy you or me
Peace when we're sleeping or a conscience that's free.

(chorus) A heart that's contented, a satisfied mind,
These are the treasures your money can't buy;
If you have Jesus, there's more wealth in your soul,
Than acres of diamonds, or mountains of gold.

Thieves steal your diamonds, your gold melts away
Your rivers of silver, will flow to the sea;
Just hold onto Jesus, for in heaven we know
There are acres of diamonds, and mountains of gold.

(chorus)

Friendship[s are] trenchant, they will decay;
Earth's golden riches, will soon pass away;
But one thing's for certain, there are riches untold
Reserved and awaiting, for all in his fold.

(chorus)

---------

Verse 3 came to me as "Friendship is trenchant they will decay" which can't be right, so I tried proposing a fix that is at least proper English. Trenchant can mean vigorous, or sharp or cutting or a bunch of other things that don't really seem to fit, but that is definitely what was sung on a rendition I heard recently.

Feel free to make up your own mind about it, of course!

- Jay
zcomposer

Post by zcomposer » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:01 am

My email has changed but it's still me, and I am still offering typeset copies to whomever asks, and at no cost. Just click on my username - zcomposer - and you can get my email address.

-- Jay

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:13 pm

I have a copy of orginal sheet music from 1950s. was my grandmothers...and one of her favorites. Arthur Smith is from same hometown as she and I am...Charlotte NC. A great Old Hymn

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:57 pm

This is the story of Acres of Diamonds:

57 Cent Church

A little girl stood near a small church from which she had been turned away because it was 'too crowded.'

'I can't go to Sunday School,' she sobbed to the pastor as he walked by.

Seeing her shabby, unkempt appearance, the pastor guessed the reason and, taking her by the hand, took her inside and found a place for her in the Sunday school class. The child was so happy that they found room for her, and she went to bed that night thinking of the children who have no place to worship Jesus.

Some two years later, this child lay dead in one of the poor tenement buildings. Her parents called for the kindhearted pastor who had befriended their daughter to handle the final arrangements.

As her poor little body was being moved, a worn and crumpled red purse was found which seemed to have been rummaged from some trash dump.

Inside was found 57 cents and a note, scribbled in childish handwriting, which read: 'This is to help build the little church bigger so more children can go to Sunday School.'

For two years she had saved for this offering of love.

When the pastor tearfully read that note, he knew instantly what he would do. Carrying this note and the cracked, red pocketbook to the pulpit, he told the story of her unselfish love and devotion.

He challenged his deacons to get busy and raise enough money for the larger building.

But the story does not end there....

A newspaper learned of the story and published It. It was read by a wealthy realtor who offered them a parcel of land worth many thousands.

When told that the church could not pay so much, he offered to sell it to the little church for 57 cents.

Church members made large donations. Checks came from far and wide..
Within five years the little girl's gift had increased to $250,000.00--a huge sum for that time (near the turn of the century). Her unselfish love had paid large dividends.

When you are in the city of Philadelphia, look up Temple Baptist Church , with a seating capacity of 3,300. And be sure to visit TempleUniversity, where thousands of students are educated.

Have a look, too, at the Good Samaritan Hospital and at a Sunday School building which houses hundreds of beautiful children, built so that no child in the area will ever need to be left outside during Sunday school time.

In one of the rooms of this building may be seen the picture of the sweet face of the little girl whose 57 cents, so sacrificially saved, made such remarkable history. Alongside of it is a portrait of her kind pastor, Dr. Russell H. Conwell, author of the book, 'Acres of Diamonds'.

This is a true story, which goes to show WHAT GOD CAN DO WITH 57 CENTS.

Hendersonville, North Carolina

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:21 am

Such a touching story. Spoke to my heart. I was just trying to look for the sheets and lyrics of Acres of Diamond to play for the underprivileged as I had the LP when i was in my late teens. Now at 60, wants to have the sheets to play for them as the lyrics are meaningful. Then i stumble on this story. Thanks for sharing with us. Nowadays, got to remind ourselves of material stuff. Such an example from this little girl, puts me to shame and must also start taking stock of my life. Thanks for sharing!!!

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:56 pm

Does anyone have a copy of the sheet music that they would be willing to share? I'm looking for the copy so that it could be used at my mother's funeral/memorial service. If you are able to send me a photocopy or whatever, it would be greatly appreciated. I can be reached at [email][email protected].[/email]
zcomposer

Post by zcomposer » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:53 pm

This is Jay again, the fellow who offered, and is still offering, a copy of Acres of Diamonds which I have retypeset (because I looked for it forever, and could not find it myself - when I did, set it again for my own use).

Some have asked me how many verses to this song there are.

As far as I can tell, Mr. Smith wrote 1 verse. That's what I typeset and make available free to those who ask.

Others seem to have written other verses. Does that count? That would be for you to decide. I quoted some above, though again, I am pretty sure Mr. Smith did not write them.

-- Jay