"When I've Gone the Last Mile Here and Sweet heaven is in view"

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").
preacherknox68

Post by preacherknox68 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:34 pm

This is part of the chorus of a song back in the 1960's that was sung by a group out of Rossville Georgia named THE MIDSOUTH QUARTET.They called it "When I've gone the last mile" but it is not the one that is commonly called Last Mile of the Way"

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:53 pm

When I've Gone The Last Mile of the Way

1When I've gone the last mile of the journey And the burdens of life are laid down,
I shall stop at the portals of glory And exchange the old cross for a crown;
All my trials will then be forgotton, It will all be one glorious day,
I shall praise the dear Savior forever, When I've gone the last mile of the way.

Chorus
When I've gone (When I have gone) the last mile(gone the last mile)
friends, and sweet heaven(Heaven I view) I view, (Heaven I view),
I shall see (see my dear Lord) my dear Savior (Savior and King)
Who Saved me and guided me thru; (guided me thru)
Heaven's door (Heaven's bright door) will swing open (open will swing)
"Well done" ("Servant well done") He will say, (Jesus will say,)
"Enter in, ("Come enter in,) live forever (forever live),
You have come the last mile of the way." (rough pilgrim way")..

2 Many times when I'm laden with sorrow And my burdens are heavy to bear,
Then I think of that wondrous tomorrow Where I'll know no more heartache or care;
I shall join in that heavenly chorus, Singing glad hallelujahs for aye,
I shall meet all those gone on before me,
When I've gone the last mile of the way.

3. Often times on the road I grow weary And the milestones seem farther apart
But I know my dear Savior is near me, He's been with me since I made the start;
O I know the bright lights of that city Soon will shine out across the dark bay,
And I know my dear Lord will be waiting, When I've gone the last mile of the way.

By Harry G. Clark
copyright 1940 by Stamps-Baxter Music
found in The Isom Lee Trio Selected Song and Hymns

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:16 pm

I'm so THANKFUL to find the words to this song. As a child, we would sing this song as our family traveled along in our car. There were 7 of us and our parents had taught us to love to sing. Dad sang tenor, my sister and I sang alto, and Mom and the other children sang the melody. This was my mom's favorite and when we sang, we always sang this one. She's taken that journey now and is enjoying all the glories of heaven. It is so easy to imagine her hearing "Well done!" as she saw the Lord for the first time face to face.
Thank you again for posting these words!

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:51 pm

Thank you for posting these words. I used to sing in the school's octet. During our Sunday services in the 70s. At Nyatsime College . What a wonderful song. I used sing alto. Very melodical.

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:19 pm

Wonderful song. I wish the Bill Gaither and his friends add it to their songs!

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:18 am

My family sang in church all of my childhood. And this was one of my mother's favorite songs. I can just see her singing it a looking straight up smiling with tears of joy pouring down her face. She went to be with the Lord a little over a year ago and I know she's in heaven singing with the angels.

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:57 pm

Could someone post the song on utube. I would love to hear the song
Hannatu Monday

Re: "When I've Gone the Last Mile Here and Sweet heaven is in view"

Post by Hannatu Monday » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:15 pm

This was one of the songs Ben Dido my choirmaster taught me about 15 years ago. He was dedicated and reflected Christ despite the many trials in his life. He passed on a week ago and his funeral was held yesterday. Because of how much I valued his commitment and perseverance, I decided to set aside a week to mourn him by going through the songs I learned from him. WHEN I'VE GONE THE LAST MILE OF THE JOURNEY was one of them.
As I feel the pain of losing him, I draw comfort from the assurance that the Savior has received him in heaven; that he's gone to his reward.
I'm also encouraged to persevere, knowing that the end of life on earth is the beginning of the perfect part of eternity for the Christian, especially the one who lives in obedience to God's word and His Spirit.
Thank you for making the hymn available. God's blessings!