Sister Rosetta Tharpe's version of "In The Upper Room"

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").
Paoula

Post by Paoula » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:29 pm

Help!!!!! I have searched for years for a song I believe was recorded by Sister Rosetta Tharpe called "In the Upper Room." I have found Mahalia Jackson's verson but this is not it. Sisteter Tharpe's version was recorded in a faster tempo, more of a blues/rock style genure. I cannot find it anywhere. My father was a pastor and radio gospel minister in Bakersfield, California during the 1950s- 1960s and he used to play the record at home and on his radio program. Unfortunately, my father has died and my siblings and I cannot find the recording anywhere. I remember my father tapping his feet and smiling when this record was played as it brought him such joy. It would mean so very much to me to find this upbeat tempo song. Thank you.
songinmyheart

Post by songinmyheart » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:47 am

Hi Paoula,

It is possible that Sister Rosetta Tharp recorded "In The Upper Room"
and your father had a demo that was circulated to radio stations yet never released.
I have had some of these demos in times past and wish I had held on to them.

I'll keep searching for "In The Upper Room" because Sister Rosetta Tharp's
live recording of "Didn't It Rain" is in my top favorites. I would love to hear her rendition
of Mahalia Jackson's composition

Nancy

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:20 pm

Oh my! He used to play "Didn't It Rain" too! That was one of his other favorites! I wonder if it was indeed a demo! How would one ever get ahold of these?
songinmyheart

Post by songinmyheart » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:03 pm

Finding it would be a challenge.
but I'd continuing searching
Try eBay and Amazon periodically.
It might pop up from someones personal collection

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:54 pm

I will continue to search these avenues as I have for several years. Name that Hymn was my last hope.
Paoula

Re: Sister Rosetta Tharpe's version of "In The Upper Room"

Post by Paoula » Tue May 10, 2022 2:21 am

FOUND! :D THE RECORDING AND THE ALBUM!!!
THANK YOU GOD! I found the song "In the Upper Rooom"
The song was not by Sister Rosetta Tharpe but by the recording artists Stars of Faith. The Album is actually called "The Upper Room" The beloved songs of Lucie E. Campbell. I happened to search Amazon Music and it is available to download but I cannot purchase the album. Is it possible someone can inform me of where I can buy this album? I would be so very appreciative.
Many blessings!
songinmyheart

Post by songinmyheart » Tue May 10, 2022 9:35 am

Thanks for the update, Paoula

I can hear why you thought it was Miss Rosetta.
For everyone who is curious, here is a recording
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzKtrXw-LfM
Paoula

Post by Paoula » Wed May 11, 2022 12:18 am

Thank you so much for this version. The following is the album I heard as a child is: https://youtu.be/ZB1lVleBZtQ
If anyone knows where I can purchase a vinyl or CD of this album I would be eternally grateful. Thank you again. ❤️
Paoula

Post by Paoula » Sun May 15, 2022 2:17 pm

:D FOUND!! After many years of searching the vinyl record album was found through Discogs.com. :D