Imagine if you will/sing a song for a baby.....need more info on these songs please

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").
deanmacgregor

Imagine if you will/sing a song for a baby.....need more info on these songs please

Post by deanmacgregor » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:47 pm

Hi, does anyone know anything more about the follwing lyrics like the titles/composers or more info...we used to sing these songs at primary school, but they seem to be hard to find...these are the only lyrics i know....please help:

imagine if you will,
a village on a hill,
quiet and still,
quiet and still.
Imagine if you can,
a far and distant land,
covered in sand,
covered in sand.

other song-

sing a song for a baby,
sing a lullaby,
sing a song for a baby,
tropic breezes sigh.

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:03 pm

My daughter is learning this at school now, I can't find it anywhere online!

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:32 am

It's one of about 10 or 12 songs from the Nativity Play called "Sing a Song for a Baby". I've been trying to track down a copy of the lyrics for all the songs (I've got a cd of the music). And I believe I know the person who wrote it, but I'm hoping to check that out.
deanm89

Re: Imagine if you will/sing a song for a baby.....need more info on these songs please

Post by deanm89 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:32 pm

Hi, it's me again, reviving this thread. I hope the last guest who posted sees this, as they said they have a CD of the music of the music from the nativity "sing a song for a baby". Unfortunately they didn't leave contact details for me to ask them for a copy. This music is very rare indeed. If you see this again guest or if anyone has the music, please let me know and leave an email.

I have been able to get a copy of a recording of the title song sing a song for a baby, this is because someone gave me a VHS of my school singing it in a Christmas concert. I exported the audio and tidied it up and uploaded it to my YouTube. The music isn't available anywhere else, here it is, enjoy -

https://youtu.be/ZBlRcoaX4J4?si=lwnnjdLi0Pst3CSY

But if anyone has recordings of all of the nativity, please let me know, leaving contact details or leave a comment on the YouTube video if you prefer. Thank you.
steveliu
Site Admin

Re: Imagine if you will/sing a song for a baby.....need more info on these songs please

Post by steveliu » Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:22 am

Hi Dean,

I am impressed that you haven't given up after 13 years! :) Funny thing, just yesterday I actually found one of the hymns I was looking for 27 years ago (!!) when I first started this site.

I don't have a definitive answer for you, but here are some leads:

1) I believe the author and composer are Mary Martin and Valeries Stumbles; they seemed to be active from 1984-1990.

2) Their books are out of print, but if you're lucky you can find a used one. I checked a number of bookstores in the UK and the USA, and the only one I could find with a copy is this one in New Mexico.
https://amzn.to/47UEbIw

3) If that doesn't work, this is going to be a long-shot, but I saw on this blog a reference to a school in Scotland who staged this last year.
https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/sl/cr ... /nativity/

You might try contacting the school to see if they can help you, either with a recording of their performance or information on where you can find the score.

https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/sl/crawford/contact/

Good luck and Godspeed in your continued search!

God bless,
Steve
deanm1989

Post by deanm1989 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:00 am

Thank you for making this site, it's a great resource. I'm glad you found something you were looking for. Can I ask what it was out of interest? Did you find a recording? I'd love to hear.

Thank you for your information on the nativity I'm interested in, I'll certainly follow that lead up.
steveliu
Site Admin

Post by steveliu » Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:45 am

lol...absolutely. I actually started this site in the mid 1990s with the hope that people on the Internet would help me find a number of "lost hymns" I was looking for in the process of editing a hymnal. You can still see what the original site looked like here.

I was actually in the process of researching this thread when I found #046 after almost 30 years :) So don't give up! :)

God bless,
Steve

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:33 am

Thank you mate, I appreciate your help and your site, I'm glad you found long lost songs.