Hymn Lyrics - "one day at a time sweet Jesus "

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").
steveliu
Site Admin

Post by steveliu » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:59 am

According to the author of the song, the verse that inspired her was Ephesians 5:20. There's a neat write-up about the author of the song, Marijohn WIlkin, at http://www.cbn.com/spirituallife/devoti ... e_day.aspx.

Here's an excerpt:

At age fifty-three, Marijohn wrote her most famous song, "One Day at a Time." Here's the story behind the song, just as she told it to me:

"I really could not understand why I was having so much success in the country music field. Although I had enjoyed quite a rush as a country writer, I had reached the end of my rope. I truly felt that I had been called to be a gospel writer, but I couldn't seem to get there. I was in the music scene up to my ears in Nashville. Wherever it was 'happening,' I was there, helping to make it happen. Yet I became frustrated! I'd had it!

"I stopped by a small church and asked a young minister if I could talk with him. I found out later that I was the first person he had counseled. I drove up in my new, midnight blue Cadillac, dressed in a full-length mink coat with sparkling jewelry and my cowboy boots. I said, 'I have all kinds of problems.' He looked at me and said, 'You look like you don't have any financial problems.' I answered, 'No, I don't.' He said, 'You look pretty healthy.' I said, 'Well, I guess I am.' He then asked, 'What is your main problem?' I said, 'I don't know.' He didn't seem to know what more to say to me.

"At that point in our conversation, he said a funny thing, but it was okay, because it worked. He asked, 'Did you ever think about thanking God for your problems?' (Ephesians 5:20). I left his office and drove back home.

"When I reached the house, I found it was empty, and I was glad. I sat down at the piano and began to play and sing-out loud-the entire chorus to 'One Day at a Time.' 'That's all I'm asking from You. Just give me the strength to do every day, what I have to do.' It just dropped into my heart. And when I had finished singing, my 'Nashville mind' said, 'That's a hit!' That was the first thing that popped into my head. I then recognized that the song was a prayer-and I got some relief.

"I wrote the chorus on the back of an envelope as fast as I could write. I then continued to sing, 'Do You remember when You walked among men? Well, Jesus, You know, if You're looking below, it's worse now than then.' I wasn't quite sure the Lord knew where I was. I'd never quit believing in Him, but I was in Nashville and God was in heaven, and never the twain shall meet. I really didn't know if God actually knew where I was. I realize that some don't believe that, but that was where I was at the time.

"The following morning, my mind went back to the song. I had the second verse and the chorus, but somehow I couldn't get the song started properly. Kris Kristofferson and Rita Coolidge, who were married at the time, were in town. They had just had a huge hit, 'Why Me, Lord?' written by Kris. Their recording had won a Dove Award for them. I called Kris and asked him to help me with the first verse. He had written songs for my company, Buckhorn Music, and we'd had some pretty big hits as a publisher.

"When I showed him how I started the song, 'I'm just a mortal . . .' he looked at me and said, 'Why don't you say, "I'm only human, I'm just a man . . ." I said, 'That's good! That's what I need.' We finished the first verse in about twenty minutes. The lines just flew out from each of us."

The song, first recorded by Marilyn Sellers, rose to become the number one song in several categories. In this country, it was first a hit on the country charts and then it crossed over to the pop charts. It was the number one pop song in England, the number one country song in Ireland, and among the top ten in two other countries. Each recording has been by a different artist in that particular country. It has long since passed the six hundred mark in artist recordings and has crossed over into the Southern Gospel Music genre.

Marijohn Wilkin, as a singer, went on to record four fabulous albums for Word Music. "One Day at a Time" was on the first album, which she titled I Have Returned. It was Marijohn's way of letting America know that she had come back to the Lord. She is now a happy, alcohol-free Christian and has written approximately three hundred gospel songs. In 1975, she was once again honored, this time with a Dove Award. She shared the platform with other winners, including Brock Speer and James Blackwood, both of Southern Gospel Music fame. She continues to make her home in Nashville.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:11 pm

Could somebody tell me if "one day at a time" is BMI or Ascap or Sesac?
Thank You for your help!

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:51 am

One day at a time has become my favorite song currently. I am a breast cancer survivor and a year after going through chemo and radio therapy in 2004, I was in severe depression and that leads to even more medical complications. Long story but in short I have learned to take one day at a time and am now in good health.

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:22 am

thank you all for posting the words to "One Day At A Time (Sweet Jesus)... I love to hear His name, same His name, call His name...& especially sing His name

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:32 pm

Any one know where i could find the words of the song which was sung by Dana when the Pope visited Ireland. some like tote to us !!!

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:46 pm

Gracias, esta era la cancion que queria cuando pedi . "UN DIA A LA VEZ..."
Necesitado, me encuentro Senhor
Ayudame hoy yo quiero saber lo que debo hacer... etc...

Gracias

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:57 pm

I want the music to this song, How do you guys think I can get it? I want to sing it in my Church. Please give me ideas.

mary

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:05 pm

Like the piano music? or an actual CD with the song only, no lyrics?

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:06 pm

Does anyone of you have One Day At a Time sang by Aretha Franklin?Thank you^^

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:23 am

who is the man that sings the so ng one day at a time. i know that shirley ceasar sings a woman version