Goin' Home

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:22 am

I first heard this beautiful song sung (many years ago) in the classic movie "Snakepit" ... a movie about a mental institution for women. I believe it was sung by Celeste Holme. I heard the instrumental version today in the movie "Clear and Present Danger." (It was being played at a military funeral). I spent the rest of the day looking for the lyrics. My thanks to the June 5 unnamed guest for the version I was looking for. Patricia

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:34 pm

Goin' home, goin' home
I'm a goin' home
Quiet like, some still day
I'm a goin' home

It's not far, just close by
Through an open door
Work all done, care laid by
Goin' to fear no more

Mother's there, 'spectin' me
Father's waitin', too
Lots of folks gathered there
All the friends I knew

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:38 am

I cannot say how much I appreciate the choice of lyrics and the informal discussion of this piece. It truly is a profound melody. I was asked to play it next Saturday for a memorial service, and the discussion of its use was very meaningful and touching. Thank you all, and you especially, Steve, if you ever see this anymore.

Barbara in Michigan

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:53 pm

kathleen battle sings a beautiful version of this ..........
mspoppylove

Goin' Home

Post by mspoppylove » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:07 pm

kathleen battle sings a magical version of this song if you like jazz

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:07 pm

My dad has recently died & this hymn could of been written for him. I miss him so much already, and dont know how Im going to cope at his funeral nxt week. I thank my brother for finding this truly meaningful hymn.
teri

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:56 pm

You will survive through the love and protection that only comes from above. We love and it's ahrd to let go, but through it, if you have faith, and hold out your hand - God will be there to wipe away the tears, because he promised never to leave us without a comforter.

God Bless You.

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:10 pm

I've just used this for a funeral and found a new version by a singer called Cecilia on an album 'the healing voice' - a superb recording for a funeral, slow and ethereal.

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:08 am

Dear all - the melody to Going Home is an old Scottish folk tune - all bagpipers in Scotland play it - it obviously made it's way to the new world (and the Scots-Irish influenced south) and American lyrics set to it (perhaps by slaves).

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:57 pm

Dear Steve,

I had been exposed to this beautiful negro spiritual dirge as a child of just six years old. Now at 62 years old the memories of loss come flooding back with each line I sing. You made an Old Man happy.

It brought tears to my eyes and a lump to my throat.

I cannot thank you enough for filling the awful chasm in my heart of my Son, Dad and Mom.
At their funerals some 40years, 25years and 23years ago respectively I was trying so hard to remember the words that I had learned as a wee boy in England.

Thanx, Mike Wilson Southampton, PA