hymn to tune of Edelweiss

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:12 am

We use to sing this all the time. It's very similar to teh post above. This was our version:
Lord of life, Lord of love walk forever beside us.
Day by day, show the way with your vision to guide us.
Striving to follow your will and way nothing can divide us.
Lord of life, Lord of love walk forever beside us.

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:53 pm

Grace of God reaching me
Weak and sinful, not caring
Love of Christ cleansing me
When He found me despairing
Praise to the Lord for His love to me
Mercy failing never
Peace and joy underserved
Day by day and forever.

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:52 pm

My grandma wanted me to sing a song for the Hunter's Ball she has every year before the hunting season. I know you've already found it but here is another one.

Bless this place, bless our food
Come O Lord and sit with us
May our hearts glow with peace;
Come with your love and surround us
Friendship and Love,
May it bloom and grow,
Bloom and grow forever
Bless our friends,
Bless our food
Bless all mankind forever.

Hope someone likes it! :)

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:27 am

My Aunt Sister Mary Franceline God rest her soul was the President of Madonna University in Michigan wrote a song many years ago. The words are below and they go to the tune of Edelweiss. There are hundreds of groups and organizations that sing this song and it is great to see that her words have traveled around the world.

May the Lord, Mighty God
Bless and Keep you Forever,
Grant you Peace, Perfect Peace,
Perfect in Every Endeavor.

Lift Up Your Eyes and See His Face,
And His Grace Forever.

May the Lord Mighty God,
Bless and Keep you Forever.

[email protected]

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:25 pm

Try this:

Lord of life (Edelweiss)

Lord of Life, Lord of Love
Bless and guide us forever.
Grant us joy, perfect peace,
Courage in every endeavour.
Lift our eyes to see your place
And your grace forever.
Day by day show the way,
Bless and guide us forever.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:05 pm

This is the one we used to sing.......

Precious Name, precious Name, Precious Name of Jesus;
Saving Name, saving Name, Name that brings us salvation.

Pardon, peace, and power are mine
Through the Name of Jesus.

Precious Name, precious Name, Precious Name of Jesus.

Unto those who believe, Jesus Christ is precious.
He's the same yesterday, This day and forever.
He's the way, the truth, the life, Peace and joy he bringeth.
He has said, "Trust in me, Lo, I'm with you forever."

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:45 am

I want to thank everyone for their added input on this site. Mom wanted Edelweiss sang at her funeral and I'm sure this is what she meant. It was beautiful. Finding this site was a true blessing - a "God wink". A service none of you expected to do. Bless you all.

Post by Guest » Tue May 14, 2013 8:11 pm

Unfortunately it turns out that the use of the tune Edelweiss to other words is totally illegal as mentioned above, in one of the posts. From the WikiPedia article:
Misconceptions about the song [edit]

The great popularity of the song has led many of its audience to believe that it is an Austrian folk song or even the official national anthem.[2] However, Austria's official anthem is "Land der Berge, Land am Strome" and the anthem used before the Anschluss was "Sei gesegnet ohne Ende". The edelweiss is a popular flower in Austria and was featured on the old 1 Schilling coin. It can also now be seen on the 2 cent Euro coin. The flower is protected in Austria and illegal to pick. An "edelweiss" is also worn as a cap device by certain Austrian Army and all German Gebirgsjäger (mountain troopers) units.[3]

There is similar confusion about another song co-authored by Hammerstein, "Ol' Man River" from the musical Showboat, which is widely (though erroneously) believed to be a Negro spiritual.[4] The similarity in misconception about the two songs has been noted by two writers, both of whom see it as tribute to Hammerstein's talents. Alyson McLamore in her book Musical theater: an appreciation writes "The last song to be written for the show was "Edelweiss," a tender little homage to a native flower of Austria that has the effect of authentic Austrian folksong, much as "Ol' Man River" struck listeners as a genuine African American spiritual"[5] Hugh Fordin in his biography of Oscar Hammerstein speaks of "the ability of the authors to simulate the quality of an authentic folk song..."Ol' Man River" had the ring of a black laborer's song...Thirty years later "Edelweiss was widely believed to be an old Austrian song, though Oscar... composed it for the Sound of Music."[6]

American church use [edit]

During the 1970s in the United States, the song became a popular tune with which to sing the benediction in some Christian churches. At a United Methodist Women's Conference, revised lyrics for the song were handed out with instructions stating that the benediction was to be sung to the tune of "Edelweiss". The trend spread quickly across different denominations of Christianity, and it is still very common to hear the benedictory lyrics ("May the Lord, Mighty God") sung to an organ or piano accompaniment of the song from the Sound of Music.

Legal problems [edit]

The estates of Rodgers and Hammerstein have not authorized the use of alternative lyrics with the melody of the song, making this practice illegal. Rodgers stated that "he would take legal action against any group" using the "Edelweiss" melody with altered words;[7] the current rightsholders comply with his wishes, refusing to grant permission for these requests, which are "inconsistent with the creators' intentions".[8]

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:18 am

so should I not sing this song
steveliu
Site Admin

Post by steveliu » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:53 pm

The United Methodist Church wrote a pretty good letter on the subject:

http://www.gbod.org/lead-your-church/co ... -not-abuse

Bottom line, it's probably best to avoid leading worship services or otherwise performing this in public, not just for legal reasons but also to respect the wishes of its creators.

As for singing the song in your personal meditations or worship, since copyright law doesn't extend to private performances (at least according to this guy), I can't imagine that'd necessarily be an issue. But as with everything, use your wisdom and discretion :)

Thanks!
Steve