.............Pass it on

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").

.............Pass it on

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:22 am

Hi

I used to go to a Methodist sunday school in Cheshire England and around 1967 we started to sing a song that ended with the words pass it on. It was NOT the one written by Kurt Kaiser a couple of years later.
This song, I seem to remember, had several "pass it on" or similar wording in each verse. I have no contact with the teachers and youth who sung it witth me. I think my father had said at the time that it was an old popular song but I haven't heard of it since.
Can anybody heip?

Thankyou

Michelle Rice

.............Pass it on

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:25 pm

Hello Michelle
Could it be 'Have you had a kindness shown - pass it on.
'twas not meant for thee alone - pass it on
Trevor (Bradford,West Yorkshire) Thought I'd pass it on! seeing I remember singing it way back in time.

.............Pass it on

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:32 pm

Story behind the hymn "Have you had a kindness shown? - Pass it on"
Boys & Girls Page

Dear Boys and Girls,
Recently I came across the story behind a hymn that was written years ago, I think perhaps the story is worth passing on to you.
Many years ago there was a young boy called Mark Guy Pearse. As he was returning home from school on a boat, for the holidays, he discovered that he did not have enough money for the boat fare. When the money collector came to him poor Mark became upset. As he counted out his money, the kind man went into his own pocket and made up the fare. How relieved the young boy was, but before he could say anything, the man said, "If you ever find anyone in the same state just remember and pass this kindness on."

Well, years went by and this young boy grew up and became a preacher. One day as he was standing on a railway platform he saw a boy crying. When he asked why, the boy said, "I've no money for my fare." Mr Pearse, as he now was, replied, "Don't cry, I'll buy the ticket for you."

As they were going along the platform, Mark Guy Pearse remembered his own school-day experience and told the boy to pass this kindness on.

Mark Guy's brother-in-law, Dr Henry Burton, heard all about the incident and some time later on wrote a hymn called, "PASS IT ON".

Here is the first verse:

"Have you had a kindness shown? - Pass it on:
'Twas not given for thee alone, - Pass it on.
Let it travel down the years,
Let it wipe another's tears,
Till in heaven the deed appears: - Pass it on."

Now, boys and girls, there are many kindnesses that we can pass on, but the greatest of all is the kindness of telling boys and girls, men and women, about Jesus dying to be the Saviour of sinners.

Michelle - Just found this on an internet site. Be encouraged.
pkaull1

.............Pass it on

Post by pkaull1 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:10 am

I remember a song that I learned as a teen called "Pass It On". I have found it in the church hymnal known on the cover as "Baptist Hymnal", on page 287. Hope that this is the song that you are looking for: (Many Christian book stores carry this hymnal in stock, if you are interested in purchasing one, or I could email you the music, if you would like to have it.) [email protected]

V1: It only takes a spark to get a fire going,
And soon all those around can warm up to its glowing;
That's how it is with God's love:
Once you've experienced it
you spread His love to everyone;
You want to pass it on

V2: What a wondrous time is spring when all the trees are budding,
The birds begin to sing,
the flowers start their blooming;
That;s how it is with God's love;
Once you;ve experienced it
You want to sing it's fresh like spring;
You want to pass it on.

V3: I wish for you, my friend, this happiness that I've found,
You can depend on Him,it matters not were you're bound;
I'll shout it from the mountain top,
I want my world to know; the Lord of love has come to me,
I want to pass it on.

Tag: I'll shout it from the mountain top;
I want my world to know,
The Lord of love has come to me, I want to pass it on.