I've got a longing, I'm homesick to go"

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").
jeffreyelliott

Post by jeffreyelliott » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:21 pm

Just after I was saved out in Sacrament, CA, 32 years ago, Robbie Hiner came to our church and sang a song that went "I've got a longing, I'm homesick to go, to a land without heart ache, nor sorrow nor woe, there is nothing but trouble in the world below, I'm homesick for heaven, I've got a longing to go." I called Robbie years ago and his memory must have slipped. Said he never recorded or heard the song. Anyway, if someone has the name or correct lyrics, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:09 pm

I'M HOME SICK FOR HEAVEN

I

I'M TRYING TO TRAVEL, THE PATH WAY THAT'S STRAIGHT.
EACH DAY BRINGS ME CLOSER, TO THE BEAUTIFUL GATE.
WHEN I LAY DOWN MY BURDENS, RECEIVE A BRIGHT CROWN.
PREPARING TO LIVE IN THAT HEAVENLY HOME.

CHORUS

I'VE GOT A LONGING, I'M HOME SICK TO GO.
TO A LAND WITHOUT HEART-ACHES, NO SORROW OR WOE.
THERE'S NOTHING BUT TROUBLE, IN THIS WORLD BELOW.
I'M HOME SICK FOR HEAVEN I'VE GOT A LONGING TO GO.

II

FIRST I WANT TO SEE MY SAVIOUR WHO SAVED ME FROM SIN,
AND HEAR HIS WELL DONE, AS HE WELCOMES ME IN.
THEN I WANT TO SEE MY MOTHER, SHE'S BEEN GONE SO LONG.
SHE SAID SHE'D BE WAITING, TO WELCOME ME HOME.

III

WHEN I'VE PRAYED MY LAST PRAYER, AND I'VE SUNG MY LAST SONG.
AND THE DEATH ANGEL WHISPERS, IT'S TIME TO GO HOME.
THEN IT'S GOOD-BYE TO LOVED ONES, WHOM I'VE MET ON MY WAY.
I'LL SEE YOU AGAIN ON THAT HOME COMING DAY

You can find this song and others at calvinclark.com

Enjoy!! This song brings back many, many memories. My mom and I used to sing this in the car on the way home from church many nights.

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:00 am

I'm so glad to see the lyrics to this song also. My mother and dad sang this when I was young. My dad was a Pentecostal minister in the Church of God and he's gone to be with the Lord now 8 years past. I'm longing to see him but most of all my Lord. Thanks for sharing. CDC

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:04 pm

Anybody have the sheet music for this? I have sung this for years with my mom and now she has alzheimers and cannot play.

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:59 pm

My grandmother wrote this and recorded it 1950s, I believe, with my mother and aunt, The Trace Family Trio. They were already singing it when I was born. Others recorded it later. It is in one of Bill Gaither's Homecoming videos, he may have some sheet music.

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:38 pm

I would like to have the sheet music to this song. My parents used to sing it. [email protected]
scottysearan

Re: I've got a longing, I'm homesick to go"

Post by scottysearan » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:03 am

Guest wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:59 pm My grandmother wrote this and recorded it 1950s, I believe, with my mother and aunt, The Trace Family Trio. They were already singing it when I was born. Others recorded it later. It is in one of Bill Gaither's Homecoming videos, he may have some sheet music.
Who is your grandmother?