Looking for 2 very old song lyrics and music - Oh, hand me down the silver trumpet Gabriel

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").

Looking for 2 very old song lyrics and music - Oh, hand me down the silver trumpet Gabriel

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:39 am

This is ok I guess? This is not the full song, though.
GinnyWeasley

Re: Looking for 2 very old song lyrics and music - Oh, hand me down the silver trumpet Gabriel

Post by GinnyWeasley » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:52 pm

Thanks for the ""Hand Me Down My Silver Trumpet, Gabriel" Lyrics. I was wondering though, does anyone know the lyrics to "Amazing Grace, How Sweet the Sound" because I have been looking everywhere for them but can't find them.
Listener

Re: Looking for 2 very old song lyrics and music - Oh, hand me down the silver trumpet Gabriel

Post by Listener » Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:15 am

In answer to the question about the meaning of the line, 'the rich would live and the poor would die':

I was disturbed by that line too, but as I was thinking about it I realized that the first line in that verse says 'if religion WERE...'. This wording implies that it is not something money can buy. It's an inverse of an if-then statement. If religion were something money could buy, the poor would all be doomed, but since it's not something money can buy, then we all can have hope and trust.
This is just my interpretation of it, so as C. S. Lewis says, "If it doesn't help you, drop it."

God bless you.