I called and I called but nobody answered. I searched everywhere, + I see. Then I knocked on the doo

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").
Tanna

I called and I called but nobody answered. I searched everywhere, + I see. Then I knocked on the doo

Post by Tanna » Mon May 17, 2010 6:40 pm

An old song I heard my mother sing once while she cried. It was ~ 1963.It's a beautibul song about Christ knocking at the door but "nobody answered me"
SingerForGod

Post by SingerForGod » Mon May 17, 2010 6:51 pm

Is this the one?

Nobody Answered Me

As sung by Ollie Gilbert, Mountain View, Arkansas on February 9, 1970

I wandered again to my old cabin home
I called for my loved ones that I wanted to see
I waited the voice, to bid me come in
But nobody answered me

I called an' I called, but nobody answered
I searched everywhere, but no one could I see
I knocked on the door, like of't had before
But nobody answered me

My thoughts turned back, to the long, long ago
To the scenes of my childhood so happy an' free
Like the prodigal son, I wandered back home
But nobody answered me

But nobody answered me

I looked here an' there, I looked everywhere
I called, O Mother, where can you be
I called an' I called, but a'las they had gone
Nobody answered me

But nobody answered me

I turned away, from my dear little home
Perhaps no more, will ever see
But as I turned to go, I called once more
Nobody answered me

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:45 pm

My parents often sang this song while I was growing up in Pennsylvania. I see that Charlie Pride and Willie Nelson also have recorded this song. I haven't been able to locate the song writer, but would very much like to know who wrote it and when. I would appreciate it if someone could enlighten me :) .

B. McIntyre
[email protected]
Jimmy Lewis

Re: I called and I called but nobody answered. I searched everywhere, + I see. Then I knocked on the doo

Post by Jimmy Lewis » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:06 pm

The song was written by Albert E. Brumley, who wrote more than 700 Gospel songs and other songs he classified as his "sentimental" songs. This one falls into the "sentimental" category. Brumley's songs include I'll Fly Away, Jesus, Hold My Hand,I'll Meet You In the Morning, There's a Little Pine Log Cabin, and many more. I grew up in southwest Missouri, about 20 miles from Brumley's home in the tiny village of Powell, Missouri, about 10 miles north of the Arkansas line.