How Can You Really Care

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").

How Can You Really Care

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:02 pm

I took a walk down memory lane when we used to sing these songs in school at our weekly Mass. I haven't played this in about 37 (gah!) years, but it all came flooding back to me as I started, chords and all.

Here is "It's a Brand New Day" as I remember it:

It's a brand new day, ev'rything is fine
Though it may be gray, want you to know
The sun's gonna shine
And out of that sky, piercing every cloud
Is our God on high
There will be a new heart for every man
Like the flowers that come in early spring
For every life there is a plan
No matter what autumn breezes bring

CHORUS
So put away cares, let freedom be yours
Joy is everywhere, joy is everywhere
Let freedom ring, Alleluia now
Ev'rybody sing,
Let our voices shout to the Mighty King

Well the heaven's declare in a way so grand
If the skies are fair or windy or gray
it's the work of His Hands
And down on that ground, with never a word
Such a mighty sound
And the morning will see the rolling sun
As he happily rises o'er the land
A messenger on his daily run
Brings news of the Father's guiding Hand

His Law of love, it is wholly wise
Word from above gives joy to my heart and it's light to my eyes
It's riches are fine out lasting all days
To the end of time
Though I walk in the path of evil ways
And my thoughts are a presence causing pain
There's always a sun of future days
That follows a time of wind and rain

How Can You Really Care

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:24 am

Wow, both those songs take me back to the 60's when I used to play the guitar and sing with the youth group at St. Finbar's in Trinidad. I was actually googling to see if I could find a recording of "How Can You Really Care." The song means a lot to me and I want to use it in an Emmaus Retreat at the beginning of March. Do any of you know where I can find one?

How Can You Really Care

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:46 pm

I found the original of "It's a Brand New Day" from the original album on YouTube here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee0vFl9l6Xo It's very different from the way that we sung this in church...not sure which version I prefer. :)

I'll request that the poster also post "How Can You Really Care" and will check back.

How Can You Really Care

Post by Guest » Sun May 06, 2012 2:48 am

I just did a search for the hymns you mentioned and I remember playing them in the 60's-70's I have the sheet music somewhere in my basement that I may search for and a "record " of them :) ---but no record player

How Can You Really Care

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:29 am

hey do anyone knows where i can get an audio of this song to download?? mp3 or is it on youtube please help me i cant find it anywhere.

email me at [email protected] please

How Can You Really Care

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:27 pm

I sang this hymn at Holy Faith Convent in Trinidad when I was about 13. Loved it and for many years only remembered the chorus. I'm in tears right now because its what i needed to sing to the Lord today. Thanks for the words to How can you really care.

How Can You Really Care

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:15 pm

Its a brand new Day, brings back great memories of my Catholic school days in the 70's. Though then, I didn't really like the fact that we had to sing it 4 times a week in Church, I've learned to appreciate it now as an adult and sing it to my daughter. Great memories..I'm happy to see I'm not the only one that appreciates or is still so touched by the song :)

How Can You Really Care

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:26 pm

Thank you so much for these Lyrics. We used to sing both of these
songs at St. Julies Parish in California, Recently, a dear friend passed
away and her daughter asked me to sing 'How Can You Really Care' at
her Service. I couldn't find the music, but now with these Lyrics it has
all come back to me. I will indeed be singing this at her Funeral Mass!

How Can You Really Care

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:01 pm

The Assumption Folk Chorale in Trinidad recorded this lovely song in 1970.
mtr9

Re: How Can You Really Care

Post by mtr9 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:12 am

Guest wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:01 pm The Assumption Folk Chorale in Trinidad recorded this lovely song in 1970.
Guest wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:01 pm The Assumption Folk Chorale in Trinidad recorded this lovely song in 1970.
fishrlayd wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:04 am I'm looking for the words to a church hymn we used to sing during the 1970's. All I can remember is the first verse that goes something like this...

How can you really care with fury everywhere, I look for help but I can only see a wall. I turn to see the sun, but he is on the run, just like the stars at night, my heart is going to fall. I am alone, I may be crying, but He is always there. I yell God, where are you, oh where can you be, but I know after all is said and done that my God has known me from before all time and I'll see His face.

Thanks for your help. May God bless you!
Hello...for some reason I cannot get a reply box so I'm adding to yours. No disrespect intended. This song is notba hym. It was written by Paul Quinlan and originally performed by the Paul Quinlan Trio. My brother, Richard Regan, arranged the music and played the guitar. The other member was Steve Seery. The trio also performed at Carnegy Hall in the 1960s. At one point they were going to perform on The Ed Sullivan Show. Paul was a genius. Unfortunately, Paul, RIP, did not copyright his music so much of it has been reproduced without giving him credit. At the time he was a Jesuit priest at Holy Cross College if you’d like to check the facts. I only remember the first two lyrics of this song. I don't think the Paul Quinlan Trio ever recorded it.

The words are as follows:

How can you really care, with fury everywhere?
I look to God but I can only see a wall.
I lay awake at night, but all I know is fright,
Just like the stars at night my heart is going to fall.

CHORUS:
I am alone, I may be crying, but He is always there.
I yell, God where are you, oh where can you be?
But I know, after all is said and done,
That my God has known me frim before all times,
And I'll see his face.

Oh come and rescue me, alone on an empty sea,
If I should perish here no one would even know.
But I have known a year, when you were very near,
What do you care if I am dying here below?

CHORUS

The third verse is most likely a combination of the lines mentioned in the previous answer that were not used above. Again, this is not a hymn or church song. In case you didn't get it, it is a song expressing despair poignantly. Most of his music was joyful, but such is the temperament of this artist.

Thank you for your time.