Song by The Dowings "Something in the Air"

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").
Brother Jonathan

Post by Brother Jonathan » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:09 am

Way back in the early 70's, The Downings released a song with that title. Part of the lyrics are:

The whispering wind seems to softly say
There's something different about today,
I wonder, what can it be?

Then there was another verse, part of which went"
My heart is light and my soul is gay
Just like a bride on her wedding day,
I wonder what can it be?

There's something in the air, I can feel it everywhere, I know there's something in the air!

Could it be that this would be
The day that starts eternity
The Day that we've been waiting for so long,
Could it be that yet today
The King of Kings would turn and say
"Pick up your trumpet, blow it loud and strong?"

That's all I can remember so if you can help with the rest, I'd be most grateful. It's tragic, the closer we get to the end of our time on this earth, there seems to be less and less emphasis on being prepared to meet the Lord one day.

Blessings to one and all!
niki

Post by niki » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:39 am

Hi, if you go to youtube and type in something in the air Truth You will find the version that Truth did back in the late 70's early 80's. They were awesome then! I believe the guy right in the middle of the picture there was my Youth choir leader and Sunday school teacher, back in the day! He played trumpet or trombone for them right before that. If you would like to hear another great song by them, listen to "would you believe". you will see it on the side there. (my youth choir director is kneeling and holding a trombone). I love the old group they had back then. Don't care too much for the groups that came in the 90's and later.

Anyway, I know I didn't give you the words, there are lots of them, but you will get a treat listening to them and their other stuff. (before the 90's). enjoy.
niki

Post by niki » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:06 am

This is an attachment to my above post. I should say that I liked the style and songs of Truth (the singing group) better from the 70 - 80's. The singers after that are great, but I prefer their older style. I have nothing against the groups themselves. Just want to clarify that! :)
Brother Jonathan

Post by Brother Jonathan » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:35 am

Niki, I used to have that tape! Got me through many a troublesome day in the mid- to late-70's, and I think it was one of their best projects ever.

The last time I saw them (Truth) was in 1978, with Benny Kee, one of the singers named Kim (he sang tenor, I think); and Ginger. I don't recall if Art and Jolene were still there, but they sang with Truth in 1977. Their female lead singer was Lily, from California, and she could almost blow the roof off when she hit a high note!

Was your youth choir leader also with them when they produced "songs from Gaither (not sure of the title)"? That was the one where they were in the school and Gordon Twist (I think) was wearing the "dunce cap".

I don't have one favorite from those days but you're right, those were classic days, and I am so grateful for them all, giving of their time and talents for folks like us. They couldn't have known that people they never saw would still be receiving blessings years and years after the fact.
niki

Post by niki » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:17 pm

Brother Johnathan, I believe he was on there but by 1978 he was our youth pastor, youth choir leader, etc. He and his wife were awesome! His name is Roger Christian.

I have a lot of their RECORDS from back then. that should date me, right?! Helped me through a lot also. They also sang "He is able". Oh how I loved that one! and Yes, she could hit that note!!!!

Glad someone else remembers the older Truth! Roger Breeland (spelling?) was leading then then. Awesome. God bless you! Niki
Brother Jonathan

Post by Brother Jonathan » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:45 am

Hi Niki,

You're right, Roger did such a great job with the group. I mean, consider the nearly constant turnover of personnel. Some stayed only for, maybe, 1-2 years tops? That wasn't very long! Then, compare the singers from the "Truth Live" double-album set with "You Don't Know What You're Missing" with the 1977 group and hardly anybody had remained.

I only had a few of their records besides the 2-LP I mentioned and a couple more. Something was wrong with my turntable so that tipped the scales for tapes and 8-tracks (now who's dating whom??? lol). Sure wish they could all come together for a "grand finale" reunion! What a project THAT would be!