When lamps are lighted in the town, the fishermen at sea

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:28 pm

If the teacher ever allowed us to choose a hymn we always chose this at Bracebridge Heath Lincoln primary school in the late 40s,we loved it.

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:08 pm

Appreciate the lyrics; I only recalled the first verse, actually the first two lines and recalled them a little differently:

When lamps are lighted in the town
The fisher folks awake

Don't know if the second line is misremembered but it's stuck in my head that way.

We learned it before we could read; it was in my first year at school, which was at Denton Road School, Newcastle upon Tyne. We would have had to memorise the words, as best we could. There was lots of sea fishing only about ten miles away, on the N.E. coast.

I wish I knew the tune.
Joy Elliott

Re: When lamps are lighted in the town, the fishermen at sea

Post by Joy Elliott » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:20 pm

Thanks so much for this. I've been trying to remember the opening lines of this hymn for ages!

We also sang at my primary school in the 1940's: Daisies are our silver, buttercups our gold; This is all the treasure we can have or hold.